So you want a Rapier Helm / Helmet?
Whatever your reason, it can be difficult to find a Rapier Helm. Fencing Masks are easy, any Olympic fencing website carries them and they cost next to nothing. Rapier helms aren't as widely used as Heavy/Chivalric Helms so there isn't as large a market, and hence a smaller supply. Fortunately there are a few people making/modifying helms for fencing and selling them. Of course you could just modify one yourself *grin*.
So what kind of helms work best for fencing rapier, Cut & Thrust or WMA sparring?
- Lobstertail Helmet
- Combed Morion
- Close Helm
Buy a Rapier Helm
- Darkwood Armory now carries stainless "Longsword Trainer Helmets"
- Windrose Armory carries a variety of helms & sizes
- Marco Borromei sells modified helmets imported from India
- Ice Falcon Armory sells 2 styles
- That Guy, Terry Tindell sells completely non-period perf plate helms
- Armory World, in the Ukraine
- Zen Warrior sells both a helm and a back of the head add on for a fencing mask
- Black Diamond Metal Arts
- Illusion Armor
- Talk to a local armorer, they're probably willing to do custom work. But dont expect it to cost less than their heavy helms, and probably more.
Modify an Import Helm Yourself
- So, You want to make a Rapier Helm?
- The Helmet Project (Old, last updated in 2003)
- Strapping Helms in a Historical Manner By D. A. Biggs
- How to Make Horse Hair Helm Padding
- I modified one of these myself, it comes with two removable faceplates and it was fairly straightforward to replace the center of the solid one with perf
Modify a Fencing Mask